Lewis County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lewis County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lewis County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1816|
|Address|| Lewis County Courthouse|
110 Center Avenue
Weston, WV 26452
Lewis County Website
County Clerk has birth & death records from 1853
Marriage Probate and Land Records from 1816
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in West Virginia counties see: West Virginia Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Lewis County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Lewis County Census, 1850 at Ancestry.com ($)
Join us inindexing the 1940 Census
- [Cunningham] Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
- [Hacker] “A Noted Mason Dead: The Demise of William Hacker at a Ripe Old Age,” [Newspaper obituary] (Shelbyville, Ohio), 29 July 1891, reprinted in Hacker’s Creek Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1 (Fall 1987):31-32 - free digital version at Hacker's Creek website.
- [Swisher] Swisher, Robert Edward. The Swisher Family of Harrison and Lewis Counties, West Virginia. Richmond, Va.: Whittet & Shepperson, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 Sw65r.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Lewis County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
Regiments. Service men in Lewis County, West Virginia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lewis County, West Virginia:
- - 3rd Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company I.
- - 18th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company I.
- - 26th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company B.
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company I (Lewis County Rangers).
- - 36th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company D.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Lewis County, West Virginia Will Books 1820-1963
West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1817-1969 - free.
- Lewis County birth records : births recorded in the Lewis County Courthouse, Weston, West Virginia v. 1. 1853-1868 -- v. 2. 1869-1877 -- v. 3. 1878-1892 -- v. 4. 1893-1903 -- 1904-1916.
- [ https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/711853?availability=Family%20History%20Library Lewis County, W. Va., death records : deaths recorded in Lewis County Courthouse, Weston, West Virginia] v. 1. 1853-1886 -- v. 2. 1887-1905 -- v. 3. 1906-1929 -- v. 4. 1930-1940.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lewis County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Lewis County, WVGenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Lewis County, West Virginia various records on Microfilm at the Library of Virginia
- Lewis County, West Virginia families
- Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendants, Inc
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lewis County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Roger U. Delauter, 18th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1985). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 18.
- ↑ Richard L. Armstrong, 26th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 110.
- ↑ John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.
- ↑ J.L. Scott, 36th and 37th Battalions Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 24.
- This page was last modified on 13 April 2015, at 19:33.
- This page has been accessed 10,689 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News