Licking County, Ohio GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Licking County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Licking County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Licking County Courthouse|
Newark, Ohio 43055
Licking County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Fairfield County 30 January 1808.
- County Seat: Newark
- Neighboring Counties: Licking County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Knox (north) · Fairfield and Perry (south) · Muskingum (east) · Coshocton (northeast) · Delaware and Franklin (west)
See an interactive map of Licking County boundary changes.
1875--The courthouse was on fire on 2 April 1875. Records in the Recorder’s, Sheriff’s, Auditors and Treasurer’s offices were saved.  The marriage records between 1829-1839 were not available possibly lost completely in the fire. Some estate records also were burned in the fire. There are gaps in records for this county.See Burned Counties.
1879--The tower of the New Licking County Courthouse caught fire, 29 Mar 1879. No records were destroyed. 
Business Records and Commerce
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Revolutionary War
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Licking County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Licking County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Licking County Courthouse
20 S 2nd Street
Newark, OH 43058
Probate Judge has birth, marriage and probate records;
County Health Department has death records; Clerk Court
has divorce records from 876 and court records from 1872;
County recorder has land records
Family History Centers
Jacksontown Alumni Book 1890-1959. Digitized book which includes the history of the school and numerous class photos.
Ohio, County Marriages, 1790-1950 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch-Historical Records. Databases include Marriage Records, 1808-1951 available at FHL, and Marriage Returns, 1875-1950 available at FHL. (For Licking County, the 1808-1951 database is variably extracted; often the Volume and Page number are not given. The "image numbers" given in the extracts refer to the image numbers in the microfilm, not to the image numbers as uploaded to Historical Records. The links to images from search results in the Historical Records for this County are wrong for at least Volumes 7 and 11, but the user can often find the wanted record by going to the next image in sequence. In Volume 7 the images are about 8 MB each, and in Volume 11 about 5 MB each, so searchers with slow internet connections should be prepared for considerable load time.)
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch-Historical Records. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, widowed or divorced, occupation of deceased and disposition of remains.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Licking County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licking_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- ↑ GenDisasters.com Newark, OH Licking County Courthouse Fire, Apr 1875 http://www3.gendisasters.com/ohio/17866/newark-oh-licking-county-courthouse-fire-apr-1875
- ↑ "A County Court House in Flames"New York Times March 30, 1879 Article.
- ↑ Licking County Research Article
- ↑ GenDisasters.com Newark, OH Licking County Courthouse Tower Fire, Mar 1879 http://www3.gendisasters.com/ohio/17867/newark-oh-licking-county-courthouse-tower-fire-mar-1879
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News