Limestone County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Limestone County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
310 W. Washington Ave.,
Athens, AL 35611
County Archives has bird and death records 1881-1913
marriage records 1832-1900 divorce records 1896-1947
land and court records 1818-1900, tax records 1861-1900,
Newspapers 1868-1985 Probate Judge has marriage probate land records from after 1900
Clerk Circuit Court has court records after 1900 and divorce records after 1947
1818--Limestone County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee and Chicksaw Cession in 1816.
County seat: Athens 
1862 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
|Belle Mina||Huntsville||Mooresville|| |
For tips on accessing Limestone County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Civil War Battles Fought in Limestone County
- 1864 - January 26 = Athens
- 1864 - October 26-29 = Decatur
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama.
Societies and Libraries
Limestone County Archives
- Intro to the Archives (http://www.limestonecounty-al.gov/LC_Archives.html)
- Online research of Archives records (follow link from home page)
- Friends of the Archives (http://www.limestonefoa.org/)
Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Limestone County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Limestone County p. 38. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More