Lincoln County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Maine-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
62 Union Street
Rockland, Maine 04841
- Named for English city, Lincoln in Lincolnshire, England
- 7 counties were created over the years:
Places / Localities
Pownalborough was incorporated in 1760, when Lincoln County was created in the Maine District of Massachusetts. Pownalborough included the present towns of Dresden (West Precinct) and Wiscasset (East Precinct). Dresden was set off on its own and incorporated in 1794. Please note that both towns were always part of Lincoln County and never part of Cumberland County, which was also created in 1760. There is a town named Pownal located in Cumberland County that was formed in 1808. Records have been transcribed by persons who had no knowledge of Maine history and assumed that Pownalborough, Maine and Pownal, Maine were the same town (with the name shortened).
- Hibberts Gore
Maine Newspaper Archive Indexes Free; Digital Page Images $ (GenealogyBank $) Twenty-two early Maine 18th and 19th century newspapers, 1785-1898 online. Indexes (free); digital images ($). These newspapers are from Augusta, Bangor, Belfast, Brunswick, Castine, Eastport, Falmouth, Hallowell, Kennebunk, Portland, Saco and Wiscasset.
Tip: early Maine newspapers routinely reported on news, obituaries, births, marriages etc. from around the state. Be sure to search the indexes for all Maine newspapers to find your target ancestor.
Wiscasset, Lincoln County, newspapers online:
- Lincoln Intelligencer. Indexes Free, digital pages $. 1821-1822. at GenealogyBank.
- Lincoln Telegraph. Indexes Free, digital pages $. 1821-1822. at GenealogyBank.
- Wiscasset Argus. Indexes Free, digital pages $. 1797-1798. at GenealogyBank.
- Wiscasset Telegraph. Indexes Free, digital pages $. 1796-1799. at GenealogyBank
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Lincoln County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Lincoln County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Lincoln County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Lincoln County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.