Litherland Christ Church, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - 'Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in th)
(9 intermediate revisions by 5 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 +
 +
Guide to '''Litherland Christ Church, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Litherland Christ Church [Waterloo]" was created a chapelry in 1839, was enlarged, and rebuilt in 1892. It lay within the boundaries of Sefton ancient Parish.  
+
LITHERLAND (ChristChurch), a township, a '''chapelry''', and a subdistrict in [[Sefton, Lancashire|Sefton parish]], West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on the coast, 4 miles north by west of Liverpool; and contains the hamlet of Seaforth and a portion of Waterloo. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and includes but a portion of the township; the rest of which is in the two chapelries of Waterloo. The present church was built in 1892 and became known locally as Old Christ Church. LITHERLAND, a '''township''', in the parish of Sefton,union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51111#s8 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 101-104.''] Date accessed: 24 September 2013.</ref>
  
The name Litherland is a hybrid name, from Old Norse hliŏ/hlith-ar which means "slope" and Old English land "land".
+
<br>  
 
+
Litherland was mentioned in the [[Domesday Book]] of 1086 as Liderlant, however there was no mention of Liverpool at that time. The first manor of Litherland consisted of one half and two quarters, the areas being Litherland including what is now Seaforth (the half) and present day Orrell and Ford (the two quarters).
+
 
+
Litherland remained a poor area until the arrival of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in 1774, this brought the area into the modern world, originally providing a safe route through Lancashire from Liverpool to Wigan, and eventually in 1816 through to Leeds. The route became very busy primarily for goods and later for the transportation of passengers. The outcome of all this activity was to bring prosperous businessmen from the City to the countryside, where they had a desire to live.
+
 
+
Litherland ChristChurch was built from 1839 and subsequently rebuilt several times. the present church was built in 1892 and became known loacally as Old Christ Church. Old Christ Church was also later damaged in World War II and vandalism also caused damage through the years.<br>
+
 
+
"LITHERLAND, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Sefton parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on the coast, on the Southport and Liverpool railway, and on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4 miles N by W of Liverpool; and contains the hamlet of Seaforth and a portion of Waterloo, each of which has a station on the railway and a post office under Liverpool. Acres, 1,914; of which 7 5 are water. Real property, £19,961. Pop. in 1851,2,252; in 1861, 3,632. Houses, 597. The increase of pop. arose from proximity to the harbour of Liverpool, and to the extension of trade there. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sefton; and much of the land, to him, and to the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone. Seaforth Hall and Seaforth House are chief residences; but a great many fine villas are in Seaforth and Waterloo, and command charming views of the Mersey.—The chapelry was constituted in ''1842'', and includes but a portion of the township; the rest of which is in the two chapelries of Waterloo. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £87.* Patron, the Rector of Sefton. The church is a handsome structure of white stone; and consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and spire. There is a national school.—The sub-district contains all the township, and also five other townships of Sefton. Acres, 6,269. Pop., 5,084. Houses, 836."
+
 
+
John Marius Wilson, ''Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales'' (1872)
+
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 37: Line 29:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{British Census|306905}}  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
+
<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
Line 58: Line 50:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}
  
<br>
+
== References  ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
 +
 
 +
&nbsp;{{Lancashire}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:53, 24 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Litherland Christ Church, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Contents

Chapelry History

LITHERLAND (ChristChurch), a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Sefton parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on the coast, 4 miles north by west of Liverpool; and contains the hamlet of Seaforth and a portion of Waterloo. The chapelry was constituted in 1842, and includes but a portion of the township; the rest of which is in the two chapelries of Waterloo. The present church was built in 1892 and became known locally as Old Christ Church. LITHERLAND, a township, in the parish of Sefton,union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4¾ miles (N. by W.) from Liverpool. [1]


Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306905.


Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 101-104. Date accessed: 24 September 2013.