Liverpool Christ Church, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Christ Church Homer Street Liverpool was a chapel of ease built in the year 1797 and stood within the civil parish boundaries of Liverpool St Peter and Nicholas. It was one of two by this same name in Greater Liverpool. (The other chapelry, known as Christ Church Hunter Street was created and in operation by 1832, was actually built in the parish of West Derby, on the western border of Liverpool Parish.)
The church was dedicated by the Right Reverend William Lord, Bishop of Chester on the 10th November 1799. Baptismal registers date from March 11th 1797.
In 1904 the Liverpool and Wigan Churches Act was passed. Under the terms of this Act, Christ Church , which had hitherto been regarded as an ecclesiastical district in the Parish of Liverpool became a separate parish 'for ecclesiastical purposes' (see sections 2 and 21). The Act also laid down, however, that 'from and after the next avoidance for the benefice of Christ Church' it should cease to be a separate ecclesiastical parish and should be merged with the parish of St. Stephen, Byrom Street. This amalgamation eventually took place in 1920 and Christ Church was closed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
There are online transcriptions for Liverpool Blessed Virgin Mary Chapel registers as well as for the ancient parish of Liverpool St Nicholas' baptism, marriage and burial registers. Displayed below are those links to online data for both this chapelry and for the ancient parish of St Nicholas located in the following websites; note the ranges of years:
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|LBMD = Lancashire BMD|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|LIVERPOOL CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1797) Indexes|
|LIVERPOOL ST NICHOLAS PARISH (1604) Indexes|
To view a full list for all of the ancient parish Liverpool St Nicholas and its (nearly 60) chapelries, ecclesiastical churches, and district chapels, and to view online baptism, marriage and burial transcription indexes, visit the LIVERPOOL ST PETER & ST NICHOLAS PARISH page.
Original parish and chapel registers are held at the Liverpool Record Office, William Brown Street, Liverpool L3 8EW, United Kingdom.
Copies of the chapel (parish) registers for Liverpool Christ Church Chapelry, are available on microfilm and, they are held at FamilySearch's Family History Library and have also been transcribed and made available online (see the above link).
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438717.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.