Liverpool St George, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. George Liverpool, Derby Square was erected on the old site of the castle in the year 1734. It was created in 1736 from and lying within the boundaries of Liverpool St Peter and St Nicholas, Lancashire (which see).
On March 5, 1704 the burgesses obtained a lease for the castle and its site from the Crown for fifty years. Lord Molyneux disputed this as he still claimed hereditary constableship. This delayed the settlement of the lease until 1726, when the last remaining ruins of the castle were removed. Finally in 1715 an Act was passed to demolish the castle and build a church in its place.
In a 1715 Act of Parliament (1 Geo. I, cap. 21) land on the old castle site was obtained for the purpose of the church building. Construction began in 1726 to the architect Thomas Steer's design and was completed in 1734. A vault beneath the church and a churchyard provided for burials.
Structural problems resulted in re building between 1819 and 1825 and a new spire smaller than the original was also added.
The church was owned and maintained by the City Council and was used for worship by the mayor, aldermen and judiciary of the city. However the 1867 appointment of a Jewish mayor was criticised from the pulpit and thereafter the city council ceased to use the church which declined and was closed in 1897 and subsequently demolished.
The Victoria monument now occupies the site of the former church and was built in 1902.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438714.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News