Llanbadarn Odwyn, CeredigionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"LLANBADARN-ODWYNNE (LLAN-BADARN-ODYN), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of PENARTH, county of CARDIGAN,SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N. N. E.) from Lampeter, containing 558 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Paternus and its distinguishing adjunct from its conspicuous position on the summit of a lofty eminence, is situated near the river Aêron and from the higher grounds is obtained a fine view of the Vale of Aêron, which abounds with pleasing and richly varied scenery. It formerly constituted a prebend in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi, founded by Thomas Beck, Bishop of St. David's, in 1187, and was rated in the king's books at £6. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rev. Samuel Evans, the present incumbent. The church is a small edifice, consisting only of a nave and chancel, situated on a lofty eminence ; and from the churchyard is an interesting view of the vale beneath, and an extensive prospect over the surrounding country. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, which is the largest dissenting place of worship in South Wales. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 89.10." [From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833] For more information see Llanbadarn Odwyn at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464305.
Maps and Gazetteers