Llangynfelyn, CeredigionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Alternately spelled Llancynfelin or Llangynfelyn."LLANCYNVELYN (LLAN-GYNVELYN), a parish in the upper division of the hundred of GENEU'R-GLYN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (N. E. by N.) from Aberystwith, on the road to Machynlleth, containing 826 inhabitants. This parish, which abounds in mineral wealth, is situated on the river Dyvi, which is here navigable, and affords a facility for the exportation of lead-ore and bark, which are shipped from this place in great quantities, while timber, coal, and limestone, are imported for the supply of the neighbouring district. Mines of lead and copper are at present in operation, but to a very inconsiderable extent. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St.David's, and in the patronage of the Chichester family, of the county of Devon. The church, dedicated to St. Cynvelyn, a very ancient structure, and in a very dilapidated condition, was originally erected in the sixth century, and is about to be re-built by voluntary subscription. There are places of worship for Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. Mr. Thomas Owen, in 1731, bequeathed £10, the interest of which is distributed annually among the poor, according to the will of the testator. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 112.15." [From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833] For more information see Llangynfelyn, Cardiganshire at genuki.org.uk
Maps and Gazetteers
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here