Llansanffraid, CeredigionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"LLANSANTFRAID (LLAN - SANT - FRAID), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (S. by W.) from Aberystwith, containing 1206 inhabitants. The village, which is situated on the road from Cardigan to Aberystwith, consists only of a few houses of mean appearance : the parish is noted for its abundant produce of barley. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of' St. David's, rated in the king's books at £ 6.13.4., endowed with £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Bridget, is a commodious edifice, agreeably situated near the shore of Cardigan bay. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. Leland has recorded the existence here of a large building, but he was unable to determine whether or not it was the abbey of Llanfride, of which mention is made in the book " De Dotatione Ecclesiae S. Davidis." Giraldus also speaks of Llansanfride nunnery, but it is equally uncertain whether this was situated here. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £304.5." [From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833] For more information see Llansanffraid, Caridganshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464302.