Logan County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Logan County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 15, 1839|
|Address|| P.O. Box 278|
Lincoln, IL 62656
|Named for: John Logan|
United States Illinois Logan County
This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Beginning Dates for Logan County Records Birth Marriage Death Census Land Probate 1878
Logan county was named for Dr. John Logan, a pioneer phhysician, and father of General John A. Logan.
- 1839--Logan County was created 15 February 1839, from Sangamon County. County seats: Postville, Mt. Pulaski, Lincoln 
- 1827-1839 Tazewell
- 1821-1839 Sangamon
- 1817-1821 Bond
- 1812-1817 Madison
- 1790-1812 St. Clair
- 1790-1801 Knox, Northwest Territory
April 15, 1857 -- Courthouse burned and virtually all records were destroyed.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Historical Place Names
Aetna, Albany, Allenville, Altic, Atlanta, Athol, Atlanta, Atteberry
Beason, Bell, Big Prairie, Bloomingdale, Boren, Broadwell, Burton View
Camden, Camp Latham, Chester, Chestervale, Chestnut, Clay, Cornland, Corwin, Crohurst, CroHurst Station
East Lincoln, Elk Hart City, Elk Heart City, Elkhart, Elkhart City, Emden, Eminence, Evans
Gale, Georgetown, Gilchrist, Gillett, Gold Springs, Griggs
Hamilton, Harness, Hartsburg, Hartsburgh, Hartwig, Hurlbut, Hurricane Point
Johnsons, Johnsons Siding
Kickapoo, Kickapoo Siding, Kings, Kruger
Laenna, Lake Fork, Latham, Lawndale, Layman, Lee, Leesburgh, Lincoln, Lincoln Hill, Long Point, Lucas
Mackey, Madison, Martin, Middletown, Mt. Fulcher, Mt. Hope, Mt. Joy, Mt. Pulaski, Music, Musick's Ferry
Narita, New Castle, New Holland, North Lincoln
Oran, Orndorff, Orvil
P & N Junction, Peifer, Peoria District Junction, Perry, Postville, Prairie Creek, Pulaski
Rhody, Richmond Grove
Salt Creek, San Jose, Scroggin, Sheridan, Skelton
Warick, West Lincoln, Wilmert, Woodlawn, Woolf, Wyatt
Source: Illinois Place Names. Compiled by James N. Adams, Illinois Historical Society, 1989. Edited by William E. Keller with a new addendum by Lowell M. Volkel
Records and Resources
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Logan County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Logan Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Logan County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Logan County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
Historical populations Census 1900 28,680 — 1910 30,216 5.4% 1920 29,562 −2.2% 1930 28,863 −2.4% 1940 29,438 2.0% 1950 30,671 4.2% 1960 33,656 9.7% 1970 33,538 −0.4% 1980 31,802 −5.2% 1990 30,798 −3.2% 2000 31,183 1.3% IL Counties 1900-1990
1866-1920 Records of the Lincoln Circuit Methodist Churches in Logan County, Illinois. Copied by Mrs. Kenneth Patterson; indexed by Mrs. Jean Hauffe. FHL Collection two fiche Book: 977.357 K2p
1857-1944 Circuit court Case Files IRAD-ISU
1872-1963 Guardians' records FHL film 1316630 first of 5 films
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Logan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Logan County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company B.
- - 4th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company H.
- - 10th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company G.
- - 14th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company D.
- - 7th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies D, E and H.
- - 28th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K.
- - 32nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 68th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 106th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.
- - 108th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 145th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (100 days, 1864), Companies D and H.
- - 155th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield: Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, 1962). Other libraries with this book. FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im.
Civil War Dead, Logan County. transcribed by William J. Donath. FHL Collection
This is My Story: Veterans of Logan County Illinois. Logan County Genealogical and Historical Society FHL book 977.357 M2t v. 2
1859-1906 Naturalization Records. Illinois County Court. FHL Collection Includes indexes.
1894-1964 Probate Inventory Record IRAD-ISU
1931-1963 Probate Sale Record, Personal Property IRAD-ISU
Probate records available through the Family History Library
1844-1949 Probate Records. Logan,Illinois County Court FHL Collection
1855-1930 Will Records. Logan County Court. FHL Collection
Online Illinois Probate Records:
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
1897-1901 School Pupil Roster and inventory record, Girls Industrial's IRAD-ISU
1920-1948 School Pupil Diploma Records IRAD-ISU
Social Groups Online
Logan County Genealogical and Historical Society, 114 N. Chicago Street, Lincoln, IL 62656 (217) 732-3200
1857-1865 Marriage Record Index IRAD-ISU
1857-1901 Marriage Record IRAD-ISU
1891-1899 Burial Registers (Lincoln) IRAD-ISU
Places / Localities
Databases Pertinent to Logan County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
Logan County Circuit Court Criminal Case Files Index (1857–1945)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Logan County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Logan County ILGenWeb
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.