Logan Utah Family History Center/Class DescriptionsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 02:41, 30 September 2011 by MargeBell
|50 North Main|
|Mon: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm|
Tue-Thurs: 9:30 am – 9 pm
Fri - Sat: 9:30 am – 5 pm
Classes & Handouts
Tours & Group Activities
Online Film Ordering
Descriptions of Classes Offered at Oakland California Family History Center
- Using GedCom to Import and Export Data (Hands on class): Gedcom is the universal language of genealogical software programs. It allows the transfer of all or part of one database to another. It allows a researcher to share information with another researcher with a different genealogy software. This is your chance to get experience moving data from one program to another, from one computer to another.(Please bring a flash drive to class)
- Secondary Resources: The second in the beginning genealogy series takes the beginner onto the next research step, finding out what has already been done. This class introduces family name books, genealogical compilations, web sites, chat rooms, and E-mail lists. It helps the new genealogist leave the world of family lore and reach out into the greater genealogical research community.
- Getting the Most from the Census: This third class in the beginning series introduces federal and state census records which can be one of the beginner’s best tools. They are used almost from day one of research and are still useful many years later. They provide a glimpse of a family at a given point in time and provide information of inestimable value. This class will demonstrate where they can be found and how to use and record the information.
- Vital Records and the Calendar Change: This fourth and final class in the beginning series will introduce birth, marriage and death records at the state, county and town levels. The student will be introduced to the information they contain, how to locate them, and how to incorporate the information into the genealogical data file and source list. The calendar change of 1752 and how it affects genealogical research will also be explained.
- Orientation to the Oakland CA FHC: Learn how to effectively use the FamilyHistory Center. How is the desk top arranged? How does one access the subscription websites? How are the Internet favorites arranged? Come learn how to get the most from the research time you spend with us.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback