London CemeteriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Only a fraction of London monumental inscriptions survive today. It can be helpful to search surveys of church cemeteries made in the past, when more gravestones were intact.
For early monuments (up through 1700) inside London churches, see:
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitized by Internet Archive.
The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (1910) is also available online.
A very useful guide to published monumental inscriptions appeared in the Genealogists' Magazine in the late 1920s and early 1930s:
- "A Bibliography of Monumental Inscriptions in the City and County of London," Genealogists' Magazine, Vol. 5 (1929-1931):406-408; Vol. 6 (1932-1934):22-23, 68-69, 107-109, 285, 439-441, 503 and 561.
Raymond has compiled an extensive list of publications of City of London monumental inscriptions.
In addition to the city churches, other popular burial grounds in medieval and early modern London included:
- Austin Friars
- Crutched Friars
- Mercer's Chapel
- Rolls Chapel
- St Anthony's Hospital
- St Mary Magdalen Guildhall
For a modern guide to London's burial grounds, see:
- Wolfson, Patricia S. and Cliff Webb. Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria. London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., c2005, 2007. FHL Book 942.1/L1 V34w 2005.
- Deceased Online. Includes London Borough of Brent, London Borough of Camden, London Borough of Havering, London Borough of Islington, and London Borough of Merton monumental inscriptions.
- The London Burial Grounds. History, cemetery photographs. David Orme took an 1897 description of the city church cemeteries and updated it with additional sources and modern observations.
- ↑ Cliff Webb, My Ancestors were Londoners: A Guide to London Sources for Family Historians (London: Society of Genealogists, 2009), 22.
- ↑ Stuart A. Raymond, London and Middlesex: A Genealogical Bibliography (Birmingham, UK: Federation of Family History Societies, c1997). Vol. 1:39-42. FHL 942.1 D27r 1997 v. 1.
- ↑ Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885).