London CensusEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
For access to the 1841 to 1911 London censuses, see the England Census article.
London Records at the Family History Library describes London census holdings, parish-by-parish, available at that facility. Click here to see a list of the census surname indexes for local places and parishes in this county.
Local Census Indexes
The London Census Surname Index page describes local census indexes in the Family History Libary collection.
A variety of lists of historic residents of London have been preserved. Most list adult taxable males. A few identify family units. The Domesday Book (1086) does not include the City of London.
- 1292, 1319 - Two Early London Subsidy Rolls (1292, 1319), courtesy: British History Online
- 1332 - Finance and trade under Edward III - The London lay subsidy of 1332, courtesy: British History Online (Local historical study, rather than a transcript of names.)
- 1541, 1582 - Two Tudor subsidy rolls for the city of London - 1541 and 1582, courtesy: British History Online
- 1589 - London Subsidy Roll, c.1589, courtesy: Family History Archives (see pages 148-164)
- 1642 - City of London War Loans 1642, courtesy: British History Online
- 1662 - London Hearth Tax: City of London, 1662, courtesy: British History Online
- 1664 - London Hearth Tax: Westminster 1664, courtesy: British History Online
- 1666 - London Hearth Tax: City of London and Middlesex, 1666, courtesy: British History Online
- 1693/1694 - Four Shillings In The Pound Aid 1693/4 - The City of London, the City of Westminster, and Metropolitan Middlesex, courtesy: British History Online
- 1695 - London Inhabitants Within the Walls 1695, courtesy: British History Online
- 1695 - London Marriage Duty Assessment 1695, courtesy: British History Online
- 1696 - Association Oath Rolls for City of London Livery Companies, 1696, courtesy: British Origins ($); also available in book form: FHL Book 942.21 B4r v. 40.
Gibson identifies additional London census substitutes:
- Gibson, J.S.W. and Heather Creaton. Lists of Londoners. Bury, UK: Federation of Family History Societies in Association with the Centre for Metropolitan History, c1999. FHL Book 942.1/L1 D43g 1999.
- ↑ Colin R. Chapman, Pre-1841 Censuses and Population Listings in the British Isles, 5th ed. (Dursley, UK: Lochin Publishing, 2002), 65-74.
- ↑ Cliff Webb, My Ancestors were Londoners: A Guide to London Sources for Family Historians (London: Society of Genealogists, 2009), 11-13. Webb identifies the repositories and references for each census return.
- ↑ Wikipedia Contributors, "Domesday Book," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesday_Book, accessed 13 January 2012.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News