London Family History CentreEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Regional Family History Centres of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes referred to as the Mormon Church). There are more than 4500 Family History Centres around the world with over 100 in the UK, but the 13 Regional Centres are larger and have more resources on site.
Centre Contacts and Hours
|Because of building refurbishment at South Kensington, the London Family History Centre is temporarily located in the Reading Room of The National Archives of the United Kingdom. Both online and microfilm resources have been relocated to Kew where they will remain until a new location is found.|
Location & Map:
Address: The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom
- (Include information about your center that would be helpful for first time visitors such which entrance in the building to use, parking, etc. Use as many or as few bullet points as needed.)
Phone: 020 7589 8561
- Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat: 9 am to 5 pm
- Tues and Thurs: 9 am to 7 pm
Calendar and Events
Classes are temporarily suspended while the Centre is located at The National Archives.
Staff Training Meetings
The London Family History Centre has an onsite collection of about 60,000 microfilms from the Salt Lake Family History Library collection and these are primarily records of the U.K., Ireland, and locations where the British were, e.g. The Caribbean. This collection is expanding regularly. Microfilms not in the onsight collection can be ordered from the Family History Library Catalog on http://www.familysearch.org for a relatively small charge. The Centre also has 25 computers for patron use with websites such as FamilySearch, the 1911 Census for England and Wales, FreeBMD, GENUKI, and subscriptions to Ancestry, The National Archives, FindMyPast, amongst others. Running on the internal server and available on each of its computers are databases which include but are not resticted to, the British Vital Records Index - 2nd Edition, the 1881 British Census, the 1881 Canadian Census, the 1880 U.S. Census, the Scottish Church Records database (10 million names indexed from parish registers before Civil Registration started in Scotland), the Mormon Immigration Index and the Pedigree Resource File.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue: Discover what resources we offer. Browse or search.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view this collection using the portal.
Hardware and Equipment
- (Include the resources you have to help individuals do their research - computers, microfilm readers, printers, etc. )
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)