Longridge, LancashireEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 06:46, 11 May 2012 by Cottrells (Talk | contribs)

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

St Lawrence with St Paul Longridge contributor Alexander P Kapp.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Longridge was created a chapel of ease in 1727 from, and lying within the boundaries ofRibchester, Lancashire Ancient Parish. See also List of Chapelries in the Parish of Ribchester. Other places in the parish include: Dilworth and Alston.

Longridge is a small town and civil parish in the borough of Ribble Valley in Lancashire, England. It is situated 8 miles (13 km) north-east of the city of Preston, at the western end of Longridge Fell, a long ridge above the River Ribble. Its nearest neighbours are Grimsargh and the Roman town of Ribchester (Bremetennacum), 3.5 miles (6 km) to the southeast.

The Battle of Preston started from Longridge, Cromwell halting there before taking on Monarchist forces from Scotland.[citation needed]

Longridge initially developed outwards from an area around St. Lawrence's Church, at the boundary of the townships of Dilworth and Alston and to the south of the modern-day town centre. Though there was a thoroughfare called 'Market Place', there was no development around that area. Most of the development of the town occurred after 1800.] After this time, development occurred at a much faster pace, with expansion northwards including a mill to the north of Kestor Lane.

The demand for stone from Longridge's quarries led to the opening of the Preston and Longridge Railway in 1840 to carry the stone away, for use in such places as Lancaster Town Hall and Liverpool Docks. The arrival of the railway led to the opening of several cotton mills and the town grew considerably larger from the mid-19th century. The mills and quarries have now all closed, although stone quarried in the town was used to construct the M55 motorway in the 1970s. One of the quarries was used as Longridge motor-racing circuit between 1973 and 1978. Longridge railway station closed to passengers in 1930, and the railway was dismantled in 1967.

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.

Topographer Samuel A. Lewis wrote:

"LONGRIDGE, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of Ribchester, union of Preston, Lower division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles northeast of Preston. The chapelry comprises Alston and Dilworth townships. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, was erected in 1716. There was a Roman Catholic chapel as well as an hospital for a master and brethren, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Our Saviour.—See Alston and Dilworth."[1] 

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Preston Poor Law Union, Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 104-118. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 July 2010.

 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).