LossauEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Lössau is part of Schleiz, Saale-Orla-Kreis, Thüringen, Germany
The village of Lössau was first documented in 1335. The name is probably of Slavic origin. The village was named Lezowe in 1335, Lessa and Lessaw in 1498, Lossa and Losske in 1533, Lesse and Lössa in 1648, and finally Lössau.
Lössau was on the old trade route to Leipzig which led to its economic development. Lössau was a typical village that grew out of an initial commons area around the village pond. In addition to agriculture, major companies included dairies and three historic mills that produced meal, malt, and oil. Extensive forests near the village were the source of many local products that were processed here. In 1896 the E. Oettel toy factory was founded on Lössauer station, which produced toys until 1931.
The church was built by Henry XII of Reuβ-jungere-Linie-Schleiz between 1754 and 1763.
Lössau had its own school from 1862 until 1990, when children began attending the school in Schleiz. In 1887 Lössau was linked to the Royal Saxon State Railways with completion of the Schönberg-Schleiz line. This railway line played an important economic role in all large livestock transports. Other businesses worth mentioning are brush manufacturing established in1926, and the production of pressed-chip board. Many craftsmen have worked their trades in Lössau, including masons, carpenters, saddle and wagon makers.
At the end of the 19th century the Hofmaurermeister (Farm wall Master Mason), Rüdiger Heinrich, caused quite a stir in Lössau. After his death in 1899, a safe was discovered in the basement of his house which was opened in the presence of his heirs and the mayor. Over 46,000 gold marks, an almost unimaginable sum at that time, was found. This money, together with the value of his property holdings, amounted to millions of dollars. No taxes had been paid on the 46,000 marks and a saying began circulating in the village, "The prince is getting poorer while the master mason is getting richer."
Lössau was incorporated into the town of Schleiz 18 February,1994.
(This history is a translated excerpt from the official website of Schleiz: www.schleiz.de/>stadtinfo>ortsteile>Lössau)
All church books in the Schleiz area are currently being microfilmed by the EKMD (Evangelical Church of Middle Germany) in Eisenach. When the microfilming is completed sometime in 2011, the books will be returned to their original churches. For information on accessing the microfilms in Eisenach, see: archive.ekmd-online.de/portal/archive/3-archiv-eisenach/.
For inquiries concerning accessing the church books after they are returned to the church, e-mail or write to:
Ev. - Luth. Kirchgemeinde Schleiz, Stadtkirchnerei
D - 07907 Schleiz
Tel.: 03663 422 342
Schleiz Church website: www.kirche-in-schleiz.de/evangelisch/index.html
Note that fees are charged for searching the church books.
For a photo of the church and superintendent contact information, see:
Family History Library Holdings
The Family History Library does not have any records for Lössau at this time. However, a book in the FHL describes when the church records began; Die evangelischen Kirchenbücher Thüringens by Karl Güldenapfel [FHL Book 943.22 K23g]. The books lists the following dates:
- Baptisms - 1653
- Marriages - 1654
- Burials - 1653
- Confession/Communion Register - 1720 [gap 1746-1877]
- Confirmations - 1754
These records can be accessed in Germany through the information given above.
Return to Schleiz,Germany
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News