Loudoun County, Virginia CourtEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Hiatt, Marty and Craig Roberts Scott. Index to Loudoun County, Virginia Chancery Suits, 1759-1915. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- Hiatt, Marty. "Loudoun County Chancery Suit Abstracts," [1760s-1800] Northern Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 2, No. 2 (Apr. 1997):87-90; Vol. 2, No. 3 (Jul. 1997):135-140; Vol. 2, No. 4 (Oct. 1997):173-176; Vol. 3, No. 1 (Jan. 1998):44-47; Vol. 3, No. 2 (Apr. 1998):84-88; Vol. 4, No. 2 (Spring 1999):279-285; Vol. 5 (2000):482-502; Vol.6. Volumes 2-5 available at FHL.
- Preston, P.L., Louisa Hutchison, Ann A. Hennings. Loudoun County, Virginia Chancery Suits, 1757-1874: Alphabetized by Plaintiff and Defendant with Cross References. 1982. Available at FHL.
Loudoun County's original order and minute books are deposited at the Loudoun County Courthouse in Leesburg, Va. FHL has acquired microfilms of order books 1757-1904 and rough minute books 1767-1809. Some of the earliest records have been published and indexed:
- Cook, Bettie Cummings. "Order Book A, Loudoun County," Northern Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 4, No. 4 (Oct. 1999):368-371. Available at FHL.
- Constantino, Roberto. Miscellaneous Road Cases, Loudoun County, Virginia, 1758-1782: Loudoun County Circuit Court, Clerk of Circuit Court, Archives: Miscellaneous Road Cases, Files No. 38 to 48, Leesburg, Virginia. Westminster, Maryland: Willow Bend Books: Heritage Books, 2003. Available at FHL.
- Phillips, John T. The Historians Guide to Loudoun County, Virginia. Leesburg, Virginia: Goose Creek Productions, c1996. Available at FHL. [Includes detailed abstracts and interpretations of court orders 1757-1766.] Free Lookups Available!
- Sparacio, Ruth Trickey and Sam Sparacio. Loudoun County, Virginia Orders [1757-1765]. 8 vols. McLean, Virginia: Antient Press, 1997-. Available at FHL.
- T.L.C. Genealogy. Loudoun County, Virginia Minute Book, 1780-1783. Miami Beach, Florida: TLC Genealogy, 1990. Available at FHL. ["Contains hundreds of claims paid by the County Court of Loudoun for material assistance given during the Revolutionary War."-Intro.] Free Lookups Available!
- Criminal Cases, 1757-1825. Available online, courtesy: The Archives of the Clerk of the Loudoun County Circuit Court. [Includes "court's summons, judgments, bonds and the descriptions of charges and sentences."]
Dumfries District Court and Superior Court of Law
- Dumfries District Court Order Books, 1793-1817. Original records, Prince William County Courthouse, Manassas, Va.; available on microfilm at FHL. [Dumfries District Court encompassed Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Prince William counties.]
- Sparacio, Ruth Trickey, Sam Sparacio, and Charles Binns. Fee Books of Loudoun County, Virginia (Charles Binns, Clerk of Court): Clerk's Fee Book for Year 1762, Clerk's Fee Book for Year 1764, Clerk's Fee Book for Year 1765. McLean, Virginia: R. and S. Sparacio, 1987. Available at FHL.
- Town of Hillsboro Minute Book 1871-1963, microfilm, Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Va.
- Miscellaneous Papers, 1757-present. Available online, courtesy: The Archives of the Clerk of the Loudoun County Circuit Court.
- ↑ Databases and Electronic Resources, Town of Leesburg: Databases, http://www.leesburgva.gov/index.aspx?page=86.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More