Louisiana Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The earliest church records were Roman Catholic marriage records that began in 1720 and baptism records that began in 1729. Most records are kept at the local churches. The Family History Library Catalog has a small collection of Louisiana church records, including Roman Catholic and Baptist sources. Also see the 45 volumes of civil and church records from southern and southwestern Louisiana published by Donald J. Hebert This includes records of 1794 to 1905.
Guides to help you locate Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish records are:
- Hebert, Donald J. A Guide to Church Records in Louisiana, 1720-1975. Eunice, Louisiana.: D. J. Hebert, 1975. FHL Fiche 6051420 or 6010583, Book 976.3 K23h
- Guide to Vital Statistics Records of Church Archives in Louisiana. New Orleans, Louisiana: Louisiana State Board of Health, 1942. FHL film 1305374 items 2-3, fiche 6051101, Book 976.3 V2w
You can also write to the following addresses to learn where their records are located:
Diocese of Alexandria
4400 Coliseum Boulevard
Alexandria, LA 71303
Phone: (318) 445-2401
Fax: (318) 448-6121
Diocese of Baton Rouge Archives
1800 South Acadian Thruway
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Phone: (504) 387-0561
Fax: (504) 336-8789
P.O. Box 2028
Baton Rouge, LA 70821-2028
This diocese has collected all parish registers in its area and indexed them. The diocese includes the parishes of: Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberville, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, St. James, Tangipahoa, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana.
Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux Archives
205 Audubon Avenue
Thibodaux, LA 70301
Phone: (985) 446-2383
Diocese of Lafayette
1408 Carmel Ave.
Lafayette, LA 70501
Phone: (337) 261-5652
Diocese of Lake Charles Archives
414 Iris Street
Lake Charles, LA 70601
Phone: (337) 439-7400
Archdiocese of New Orleans Archives
7887 Walmsley Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70125-3496
Phone: (504) 861-9521
Fax: (504) 866-2906
Archives of the Diocese of Shreveport
3500 Fairfield Avenue
Shreveport, LA 71104
Phone: (318) 868-4441
The Drouin Collection
Early U.S. French Catholic Church Records, 1695-1954 ($) (Ancestry). This database only contains the French Catholic parish records from the United States in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, and Pennsylvania. It is the U.S. part of the U.S. and French-Canadian Drouin Collection. For more details see "The Drouin Collection: Six Databases"
The types of records include baptisms, marriages, and burials as well as confirmations, dispensations, censuses, statements of readmission to the church, and so on. They are written mainly in French, as well as English, Latin, and Italian.
Southern Baptist Convention
901 Commerce Street
Nashville, TN 37203-3630
Phone: (615) 244-0344
Fax: (615) 782-4821
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early church records, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for Louisiana Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the Family History Library Catalog . Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
Centenary College of Louisiana
Magale Library, Cline Room
Shreveport, LA 71134-1188
Phone: (318) 869-5170
Fax: (318) 869-5004
P.O. Box 41188
Shreveport, LA 71134-1188
University of New Orleans
Earl K. Long Library—Archives and Manuscripts Division
New Orleans, LA 70148
Phone: (504) 286-6556
Fax: (504) 286-7277
- ↑ Sydney E. Ahlstrom, A Religious History of the American People (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1972). FHL Book 973 K2ah.
- ↑ Hebert, Donald J. South Louisiana Records. 12 vols. Cecilia, La.: D.J. Hebert, 1978-1985. (Family History Library book FHL Fiche 6010588; FHL Book 976.3 K2he, vols. 1-12.)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Louisians Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Louisiana Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More