Luxembourg Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Luxembourg Civil Registration, 1793-1923 .
Title in the Languages of the Record
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding a translation of the title in the language of the records.
- Please add the title in French here.
- Please add the title in German here.
Collection Time Period
Civil birth, marriage, and death records have been kept from 1796 to the present, although this collection only has records until 1924. This collection does have some parish records that date back to 1793. Some of the earlier records (until 1805) follow the French Republican Calendar.
The events are recorded either in French or German totally by hand or in partially pre-printed books where the information is then entered by hand. The name of a child not registered when born will not be given in the death record, but the gender of that child will be. If the child was stillborn it will state that, although sometimes this term was applied to children who died shortly after birth.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- The source citation Luxemboutg. Luxembourg Civil Registration, 1793-1923. Luxembourg National Archives, Plateau du Saint-Esprit Luxembourg.}}
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
A birth record may provide the following information:
- Day and hour of birth
- Name of parents
- Occupation and age of parents
- Names of witnesses to the birth
- Birthplace of the child
A marriage record may provide the following information:
- Names of the couple
- Their birthplace and place of currant residence
- Birth dates and ages of the couple
- Names and consent of parents
- Occupations of the couple to be married
- Place of residence and occupations of parents
A death record may provide the following information:
- Day and hour of death
- Age or birth date of the deceased
- Birthplace of the deceased
- Name of the deceased person
- Marital status of the deceased and former occupation (when applicable)
- Name of the spouse (when applicable) and may give the date and place of that spouse’s death
- Indicates if parents are deceased or gives their residence if they are still living. When they are deceased, it may state where
- Witnesses may be members of the family
How to Use the Records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citation Example for a Record Found in this Collection
Marriage record for Nicolas Niedercarn and Catharina Wecker; 22, January 1877; Luxembourg Civil Registration, 1793-1923, Bourglinster> Marriages 1877-1890 -- Deces 1797-1890> Image #8; citing Luxembourg Civil Registration, 1793-1923. Luxembourg National Archives, Plateau du Saint-Esprit Luxembourg.