Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
Madison County Courthouse<br> P O Box 66 <br>Marshall, NC 28753<br>Phone:828-649-3131 <br><br>Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death burial and land records<br>Clerk Superopr Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1851<
Madison County Courthouse<br>P O Box 66 <br>Marshall, NC 28753<br>Phone:828-649-3131 <br><br>Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death burial and land records<br>Clerk Superopr Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1851<>;
== History ==
== History ==
Revision as of 18:18, 31 May 2012
|Madison County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Madison County Courthouse
P O Box 66
Marshall, NC 28753
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death burial and land records
Clerk Superopr Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1851
- Freedman Bank Records, 1865-1874 - search this freely available database for bank records of African-American individuals. This database includes records from all 29 branches of the bank. North Carolina bank locations included Wilmington, Raleigh & New Bern.
For tips on accessing Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Mars Hill College yearbooks - from 1917-2011; digitized by the NC Digital Heritage Center
- Madison County College Students - a name list of students at various NC colleges with identified hometowns in the county
- Military records at the Madison County NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Madison county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress. If you find a paper of interest on microfilm, you may be able to request it via Interlibrary Loan with your local public library.
- Madison County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- See the "Deaths" category in the Vital Records section for information on obituaries
- Wills and Estate records of Madison County - on the NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Madison County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website
- Obituaries from The Record and The French Broad News - being placed online by the Madison County Genealogical Society; an ongoing project.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch.
- Madison County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Madison County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.