Madison County, Ohio GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madison County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Madison County Courthouse|
1 N. Main St.
London, Ohio 43140
Madison County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Franklin County 16 February 1810.
- County Seat: London
- Neighboring Counties: Madison County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Union (north) · Champaign (northwest) · Fayette (south) · Pickaway (southeast) · Clark (west) · Franklin (southwest)
See an interactive map of Madison County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Madison County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed with men from Madison County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Madison County, Ohio Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers.
Madison County Courthouse
1 N Main Street
London, OH 43140
Probate Court has birth and death records 1867-1908,
marriage and probate records from 1810 and naturalization
records; County Health Department has birth records from
1908; County Recorder has land and military records; Clerk
Court has divorce and court records
Family History Centers
Finding More Tax Records
Additional tax records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison County, Ohio Genealogy Tax Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Madison County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News