Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
From FamilySearch Wiki
m (Text replace - "[http://fhc.familysearch.org/ '''FHC Portal:''']" to "'''FHC Portal'''")
|Line 15:||Line 15:|
Revision as of 11:04, 23 April 2014
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: London Rd, MAIDSTONE, ME16 0DR, UNITED KINGDOM
- There is a large car park including blue badge spaces near the entrance to the building which is level access throughout.
- Location on Map
Phone: +44 0 162-275 7811
- Wednesday 10-noon
- Thursday 7-9pm
Seasonal holiday closure during August 2012 and for Christmas 2012 and New Year
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalogue.
- We have a collection of microfilm on indefinite loan; please contact the Centre for further information during opening hours.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view this collection using the portal.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Centre is equipped with 4 film readers, 3 microfiche readers and a printer to print image copies from microform. It also has one computer and printer.
We aim to offer a local resource for research and volunteer service opportunity in the Maidstone and wider Kent area for anyone who wishes to use FamilySearch equipment to advance their research. The local Kent History and Library Centre offers an additional local Library resource for local and family history, which is a major archive for the county. See Kent Archives
Resources in the Local Area
From Spring 2012 material formerly held at Centre for Kentish Studies,County Hall,Maidstone,Kent ME14 1XX is available at Kent History and Library Centre see Kent Archives which also enables a search of the catalogue for Kent Archives material deposited at Canterbury Cathedral Archives.
We are a local FamilySearch Centre and aim to offer the facilities of FamilySearch resources to those resident or travelling to Maidstone.
Volunteer at the Centre
If you have an interest in family history and experience of research we would welcome your assistance and service. Please contact the Centre during opening hours for further details. We would like to extend opening hours but are dependent on volunteer help to do so and to improve our facilities and service to the local community and those with an interest in seeking their ancestors in Kent.