Maine BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Biographies provide useful genealogical information such as a person’s birth date and place; names of family members, including maiden names; education; occupation; and social, political, and religious affiliation. They may also contain a physical description of the person, previous residences, and immigration information. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research about early settlers and prominent citizens of a state, county, or town. Local histories may contain biographical sketches of lesser-known people.
There are published biographies of Maine residents. They may be found at various locations and the following are a few the you may want view.
- American Series of Popular Biographies. Maine Edition: This Volume contains Biograhical Sketches of Representative Citizens of the State of Maine. Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historical Pub., 1903. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL film 1697551; book 974.1 D3a
- Hatch, Louis Clinton, et al. Maine, a History. New York, New York: American Historical Society, c1919. At various libraries (World Cat); FHL film 1750652 (vol 4); book 974.1 H2m vol 1–5 The biographies are found in part of volume 3, then in volumes 4 and 5.
- Herdon, Richard, et al. Men of Progress: Biographical Sketches and Portraits of Leaders in Business and Professional Life in and of the State of Maine. Boston, Massachusetts: New England Magazine, 1897. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL film 1000057; book 974.1 D3m
To view all Maine biographies the Family History Library has go to Maine - Biography.
- Maine State Library Notables has a list of well known people who lived in Maine. The links give some information and take you to further places to search.
- GeneaSearch is a free website with Genealogy to find your ancestors. The biographies have links to people with Maine ties.
- PA Roots sponsers a biographical site where individuals write stories and registers users write comments.
See the United States Biographies for information on nationwide biographical collections. See also the "History" and "Genealogy" sections for additional sources. You may wish to explore biography, history and genealogy sections in the wiki at county levels also.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More