Manitoba Census Indexes, 1831-1870 (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Manitoba Census Indexes, 1831-1870 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Manitoba Index du recensement
This collection contains card indexes to census records from the years 1831-1856 taken by the Hudson’s Bay Company, and the 1870 provincial census of Manitoba.
The censuses for 1827-1856 were taken by the Hudson Bay Company. The 1870 provincial census was taken under the direction of Canada's Department of Agriculture.
The first census of Manitoba with names of each member of the household was taken in 1870. It includes name, age, birthplace, religion, and citizenship. There is a surname index to this census. Census returns for Manitoba with names of each member of the household were also taken in 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911.
The pre-1870 census returns of Manitoba (Red River Settlement) list the heads of households and some other information such as, age, religion, country of birth, married or widowed, number of sons and daughters, and agricultural data (for example, the number of livestock, the number of buildings, and the number of acres under cultivation). Almost all of these censuses were taken by the Hudson’s Bay Company.
For a list of records by alphabet and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Manitoba, Census Indexes, 1831-1870." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Provincial Archives of Manitoba, Winnipeg.
The census records in this collection may contain the following information:
- Place and date of birth
- Name of spouse
- Relationship to the head of household
- Age at the time of census
- Household number and page number
How to Use the Record
To search this collection, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year of residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the “Index Year” category
⇒Select the “Surname Range” category which will take you to the images.
Look at each image one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Using the Information
Carefully examine all the information on the index card, this will give you more information to add to your family records.
- You can use the age to calculate an approximate birth date.
- Find out where your ancestor was born, which will help you in locating the vital record for that individual.
- If listed, you can find the occupation of the individual thus allowing you to look into employment, school or military records.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in French. For help with reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Try searching through the birth registers, that will aid you in finding the birthplace and the name of the ancestor recorded, and will aid you in finding the residence of the ancestor as well.
- If you can't find your ancestors in this collection, try searching through the Canadian census collection. That will help you find the page number as well as some family members.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
|This citation example isn't from this collection. You can help by replacing this example with a citation for a record found in this collection.|
“Argentina, Buenos Aires, Catholic Church Records, 1635-1981,” images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: accessed 28 February, 2012), La Plata > San Ponciano > Matrimonios 1884-1886 > image 71 of 389 images, Artemio Avendano and Clemtina Peralta, 1884; citing Parroquia de San Ponciano en la Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Matrimonios. San Ponciano, La Plata.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback