Marden, Kent GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marden, Kent family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Marden St Michael & All Angels Kent
|Poor Law Union||Maidstone PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1567|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Here is an important jurisdictional perspective by Samuel A. Lewis--
MARDEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Marden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 7¾ miles (S. by W.) from Maidstone. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. 
Marden is a village and civil parish in the Maidstone district of Kent, see Marden Kent Wikipedia
Marden St Michael and All Angels is a parish in the Diocese of Canterbury, Deanery website
The Church of St Michael and All Angels, Church Green, Marden has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Marden, Kent Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|KOPC = Kent Online Parish Clerks - free|
|Marden, Kent Genealogy Parish Online Records|
||1561-1623, 1754-1771, 1813-1880||
International Genealogical Index Marden Independent
Christenings 1812-1837 Batch (C068461) extracted from Births and baptisms at the Independent Chapel in the parish of Marden, Kent, 1812-1836
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Kent Online Parish Clerks (OPC). Includes parish registers, parish chest records, vestry minutes, and workhouse records.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 253-257. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ Kent Online Parish Clerks, accessed 20 November 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More