Marion, MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hanson was the west parish of Pembroke and thus the area was Plymouth Colony in the beginning. The area was placed in Plymouth County when counties were formed in 1685. For a brief time, the area was part of the Dominion of New England from 1686 to 1689. The area is still in Plymouth County, though was in limbo, until the "Colony" was merged with Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691 that became the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. When incorporated, the town was part of Plymouth County where it remains.
The basic data is from the "Historical Data" publication series with additions from various sources.
Village or section names include Bird Island, East Marion, Gifford's Corner, Great Hill, Great Neck, Hamlin's Corner, North Marion, Old Landing, Silver Shell, Sippican, and Sprague's Cove.
|14 May 1852||Incorporated as a town from the 4th or South Parish of Rochester (that included the First Church of Rochester).|
|8 Apr. 1853||Border between Marion and Rochester established.|
|18 Feb. 1859||Border between Marion and Wareham established.|
|13 Feb. 1866||Border between Marion and Wareham established.|
|23 Apr. 1897||Border between Marion and Wareham established.|
|1 Mar. 1909||Border between Marion and Wareham established.|
|12 June 1939||Border between Marion and Wareham established.|
Works written on the town include:
- Mattapoisett and Old Rochester, Massachusetts: being a History of these Towns and also in part of Marion and a portion of Wareham ([Mattapoisett, Mass.], 3rd ed., 1950), 426 pp.
Digital versions of the 1907 edition at Internet Archive and Google Books
WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.482 H2m (1907 ed. only); FHL fiche 6081392 (1907 ed. only).
- Marion Wikipedia page.
]]The town's vital records are available in many locations:
- Marion Town Clerk's Office
2 Spring Street
Marion MA 02738
- Microfilm of the originals created by the Family History Library, 1852-1905, FHL film 2047769.
- Microfiche of the originals created by Archive Publishing covering vital records, 1852-1910, on 27 fiche. Part of Massachusetts, Town Vital Collections, 1620–1988 at Ancestry ($); Index
- Official state copy of vital records started in 1841. See the guide to the state for more information here.
There are no published vital records for Marion.
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Marion. For location of cemeteries, see PlymouthColony website. For more details regarding these cemeteries, see the state guide under cemeteries for books on the subject.
- Blankenship Cemetery, n.d. (A, C)
- Evergreen Cemetery, n.d. (D)
- Handy's Corner Cemetery, 1797. (B)
- Happy Alley / Quaker Cemetery, n.d. (A, D)
- Little Neck Cemetery, 18th century. (A, B, D)
- Marion Cemetery, 18th century. (B)
- North Marion Cemetery, n.d.
- Old Landing Cemetery, n.d. (A, D)
Abstracts of the cemeteries above are marked and keyed to:
(A). New England Historic Genealogical Society Manuscripts Dept.
(B). Charles M. Thatcher, Old Cemeteries of Southeastern Massachusetts (Middleborough, Mass., 1995). WorldCat (Other Libraries); FHL book 974.4 V3.
(C). Daughters of the American Revolution GRC v. 48.
(D). Vital Records of Rochester, Massachusetts to the Year 1850 (Boston, 1914).
The following is a list of churches established in town in order of organization date (if known) and condition of records in the 1889 survey if listed.
- Congregational Church [now First Congregational Church of Marion, 1703, records good.
- Universalist Church, 1828, records good.
- Methodist Episcopal Church, 1866, records good.
- Methodist Protestant church, n.d., extinct by 1889 and records unknown [perhaps the church below].
- St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church, 1874.
- St. Rita's Rectory, n.d.
- Community Baptist Church of Marion, 1992.
- Marion Sentinel, 1984-present.
Libraries and Historical Societies
The following is a list of research facilities in town:
Elizabeth Taber Library
8 Spring Street
Marion MA 02738