Marion County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Marion County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 13, 1818|
County CourthouseMarion County Courthouse
132 S. Military Street
Hamilton, AL 35570
Phone: (205) 921-7451
Records burned 1883
Probate Judge has birth and death records 1909 -1919
marriage records from 1885, land records from 1887
and military discharge records from 1920 
1866 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
|Marion County, Alabama|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Marion County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Marion County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2006. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.189 E7b.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Transcription of the following newspapers:
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Marshall County is in District 3.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Vital Record Substitutes
- Obituaries and death notices from the transcribed newspapers at The USGenWeb Archives - free.
- Marriage notices from the transcribed newspapers at The USGenWeb Archives - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Marion County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Marion County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marion County p. 38. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Francis Marion," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).