Marshall County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Marshall County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 19, 1839|
|Address|| 122 N. Prairie|
Lacon, IL 61540
|Named for: John Marshall|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Marshall County Organization
|Beginning Dates for Marshall County Records|
The county was named for John Marshall, a soldier of the Revolution, Statesman, author and jurist, Ambassador to France, Representative in Congress from VIrginia, Secretary of State and Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
- 1825-1839 Putnam
- 1827-1827 Peoria
- 1823-1825 Fulton
- 1821-1823 Sangamon
- 1817-1821 Bond
- 1812-1821 Madison
- 1801-1812 St. Clair
- 1795-1901 Knox, Northwest Territory
Reccords and Resources
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Marshall County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Marshall Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- Marshall County, Illinois Cemeteries. by James E. Fairbanks FHL Collection item 5
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Marshall County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Marshall County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Land and Property
1861-1862 Militia Rolls IRAD-ISU
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Marshall County.
- - 44th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (Scotch Regiment), Company C.
- - 77th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
- - 86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies B and E.
Archives and libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois State Universtiy (ISU)
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Social Groups Online
Illinois Vital Records for more information.
1878- Present - The original Marshall County birth records are at the County ____office. The following records are available:
1878-1914 Birth Certificates - IRAD-ISU
1839-Present - the original Marshall County marriage records are at the County _____office. The following records are available:
1839-1921 Marraige Licenses - IRAD-ISU
1877-Present - The original Marshcall County death records are at the County ____office. The following records are available:
1877-1914 Death Certificates - IRAD-ISU
1877-1914 Death Certificates, stillbirth -IRAD-ISU
1874-1888 Coroner's Inquest Record - IRAD-ISU
Places / Localities
Databases Pertinent to Marshall County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Marshall County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More