Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
''[[United States|United States ]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Mississippi]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Marshall_County,_Mississippi|Marshall County]]''
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
|Line 123:||Line 123:|
Revision as of 00:07, 16 March 2013
Guide to Marshall County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
1836--Marshall County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Holly Spring 
Some early records are lost.
Places / Localities
- Emery Cemetery, Byhalia BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photogrpahs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tennessee: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976 D2m.
- Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company A - Walker Reserves
- Company F - Alcorn Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company F - Reason’s Company
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Richmond’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - McKissack’s Company
- Company K - Bowles’ Company, aka McEwen’s Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company B - Home Guards
- Company D - Jeff Davis Rifles
- Company F - Quitman Rifle Guards
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company F - Capt. Keith’s Company
- Company K - Capt. Monroe’s Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News