Marshall County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Marshall County; PO Box 219; Holly Springs, MS 38635; Ph. 662.252.4431 Details: (Clk Chan Ct has div, pro & land rec from 1836
1836--Marshall County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Holly Spring 
Some early records are lost.
Places / Localities
- Emery Cemetery, Byhalia BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photogrpahs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tennessee: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976 D2m.
- Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company A - Walker Reserves
- Company F - Alcorn Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company F - Reason’s Company
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Richmond’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - McKissack’s Company
- Company K - Bowles’ Company, aka McEwen’s Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company B - Home Guards
- Company D - Jeff Davis Rifles
- Company F - Quitman Rifle Guards
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company F - Capt. Keith’s Company
- Company K - Capt. Monroe’s Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More