Marshall County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marshall County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
1836--Marshall County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Holly Spring 
Some early records are lost.
Places / Localities
- Emery Cemetery, Byhalia BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photogrpahs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tennessee: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976 D2m.
- Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company A - Walker Reserves
- Company F - Alcorn Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company F - Reason’s Company
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Richmond’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - McKissack’s Company
- Company K - Bowles’ Company, aka McEwen’s Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company B - Home Guards
- Company D - Jeff Davis Rifles
- Company F - Quitman Rifle Guards
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company F - Capt. Keith’s Company
- Company K - Capt. Monroe’s Company
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1836-1860 - Marshall County Marriage Index 1836-1860. Batch M520141 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1870 - Marshall county Marriage Index 1860-1870. Batch M520142 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1873 - Marshall County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1870-1873. Batch M520143 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1877 - Marshall County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1873-1877. Batch M520144 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1880 - Marshall County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1877-1880. Batch M520145 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1885 - Marshall County Marriage Books 7 and 8 Index 1880-1885. Batches M520146 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1890 - Marshall County Marriage Books 9 thru 10 Index 1885-1890. Batch M520147 and M520148 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1895 - Marshall County Marriage Books 11 thru 13 Index 1890-1895. Batch M520149 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1899 - Marshall County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1894-1899. Batches M714241 and M749070 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1903 - Marshall County Marriage Books 16 and 17 Index 1899-1903. Batch M749080 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1903-1905 - Marshall County Marriage Book 18 Index 1903-1905. Batch M749053 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1905-1908 - Marshall County Marriage Books 19 and 20 Index 1905-1908. Batch M749026 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1908-1912 - Marshall County Marriage Books 21 and 22 Index 1908-1912. Batch M749048 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1916 - Marshall County Marriage Books 23 and 24 Index 1912-1916. Batch M749051 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.