Marshall County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Marshall County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
Marshall County Courthouse
7th Street P O Box 459
Moundsville, WV 26041
County Clerk has birth and death 1853 Marriage and land records from 1835 Probate Records from 1850 Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and land records
See an interactive map of Marshall County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Belmont County, Ohio
- Greene County, Pennsylvania
- Monroe County, Ohio
- Washington County, Pennsylvania
People refer to Fork Ridge Cemetery. The problem is that there are actually three cemeteries on Fork Ridge. Fork Ridge Baptist, Fork Ridge Christian and Fork Ridge Universalist. These cemetery are on Fork Ridge Road just out of Moundsville in rural Marshall county West Virginia. USGENWEB Marshall county has great resources for Marshall county cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Marshall County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- [Cresap] Cresap, Joseph Ord and Bernarr Cresap. The History of the Cresaps. Revised edition. Gallatin, Tenn.: Cresap Society, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 C863c 1987.
Map of 1850 Virginia and West Virginia
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Marshall County on page 135.]
Civil War, 1861-1865
Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Marshall County.
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Cavalry
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, E, H, and K.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virgina, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Marshall County, West Virginia Will Books 1835 - 1916
West Virginia Will Books
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.. Includes marriages 1835-1970 - free.
There is an index of vital records for Marshall county online at www.marshallcountywv.org/county.asp on the right side of the page under the picture is a link that reads click here to search online for documents on file. After you get to the search page and put in your request be patient and don't believe the first page that pops up and says This page can not be found. I have found that many times after you put in your search the first thing that happens is a page pops up that reads This page can not be found and if you just wait the results will show up. Sometimes the wait is a long time. This site has birth, marriage, death, liens, wills, ucc, and deeds. Some are actual images but most are just the dates and other information. If you want the actual image I would suggest going to www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx. I would suggest using both web sites (the Marshall county and the West Virginia sites) to search for what you are looking for.
Also the state of West Virginia has many vital records are online at www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_select.aspx This is a wonderful site because it actually has images of the records. Many times you will get two links for the same person. Check out both links because many times they have a different type of record for the vital event. Of course not all records are available but there are many birth, death and marriage records on these web pages.
- 1851-1863 - Virginia Marriages 1851-1863 (Ancestry) ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More