Martin County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Martin County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Martin County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 17, 1820|
|Address|| Martin County Courthouse|
PO Box 120
Shoals, IN 47581-0170
For tips on accessing Martin County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Martin County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or religious Groups
- Living Leaders, an Encyclopedia of Biography: Special Edition for Daviess and Martin Counties, Indiana. ([New York?]: American Pub. Co, 1897.)other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Portrait and Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke and Fountain Counties, Indiana Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies and Portraits of All the Presidents of the United States. (Chicago: Chapman Bros, 1893.)other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
Land and Property
- Family Maps of Martin County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Military Records and HistoriesLinkpendium
- African American Veterans in Martin County, Indiana (1890) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Veterans in Martin County, Indiana (1913) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Civil War service men from Martin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Martin County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company F
- 2nd Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 13th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company F
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 24th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 52nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, and D
- 57th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 65th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 80th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and K
- 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 136th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company H
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company G
- 143rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
Martin County Courthouse
PO Box 120
Shoals, IN 47581-0170
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1820,
divorce and court records from 1842.
County Recorder has land records. 
Family History Centers
- Directory of Teachers for Martin County (1936) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Vital Record of Martin County Linkpendium
- Baker, Natalie Montgomery. Martin County, Indiana, Birth Records. Indiana(?: s.n, 1900.)other librariesVol. 1-2INTERNET ARCHIVEvol. 2-3 INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Martin County Genealogical Society (Ind.). Martin County, Indiana Will Book "C.". Shoals, Ind.?:(Martin County Genealogical Society?, 2000.)other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Martin County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Martin County, Indiana 214 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.