Marton, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Marton St Paul was created as a district chapelry by 1801 from, and lying within the boundaries of Poulton le Fylde, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Great and Little Marton, Little Marton, and Great Marton.
Great Marton and Little Marton were collectively listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Meretun. The name usually means "farmstead by a pool", derived from the Old English words mere and tu-n. Its area was estimated in that survey to be six carucates of arable land.
By no later than the end of the 11th century, St Chad's Church had been built in the nearby town of Poulton-le-Fylde and became the parish church for the area following the Reformation in the 16th century.Marton residents travelled 5 miles to worship at St Chad's, a journey that was difficult in winter. Around 1625, they petitioned to become a separate parish from Poulton-le-Fylde, with Layton and Blackpool. It was not until 1800 that their request was granted and the Church of St Paul was built in Great Marton. Originally a chapel of Poulton-le-Fylde, the church was consecrated in 1804. It later became a parish church. In 1857, the church as extended to accommodate Marton's growing population, and a tower was added.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
Here is an 1848 perspective from the topographer Samuel A. Lewis on this chapelry:
"MARTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Poulton, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles southeast of Blackpool which includes Great and Little, Marton. The chapel, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1801."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Marton chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Poulton le Fylde to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|MARTON ST PAUL Chapelry (1751) Indexes|
|POULTON LE FYLDE ST CHAD (ancient parish containing MARTON Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Marton and comprising the whole ancient parish of Poulton le Fylde to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the POULON LE FYLDE PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306887.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..