Maryland MapsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article needs revision. Want to help? Please sign up on the Maryland Barn Raising page! For ideas on the types of headings and information to add to this article, click the Discussion link to the right and also see Headings for Articles about Records.|
Maryland County Maps
Maryland County Formation Maps. This site will show every change in county boundries from 1637 to the present day in an online map. It gives details about each change and the year the change took place.
United States Census Bureau State and County Map This map from the US Census Bureau is a Nation wide county map. You can search for counties by name and can zoom in and see counties and neighboring counties even in other states.
Maryland Map Resources
- Johns Hopkins University, the Enoch Pratt Free Library, the University of Maryland, and the Maryland State Archives have large collections of Maryland maps and atlases. A helpful historical atlas is:
- Papenfuse, Edward C., and Joseph M. Coale. The Hammond-Harwood House Atlas of Historical Maps of Maryland, 1608-1908. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1982. (Family History Library book Q 975.2 E7p; film 1597909 item 18.)
- Maps that show the county boundaries at the time the U.S. censuses were taken are in:
- Thorndale, William, and William Dollarhide. Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1987. (Family History Library book 973 X2th.)
- Baltimore City ward maps that correspond roughly with the censuses of 1820 to 1900 are on Family History Library film 1377700 and Family History Library fiche 6016568-76 .
- For 7.5-, 15-, and 30-minute topographic quadrangle maps for Maryland published between 1884 and 1972 use the:
- United States Geological Survey. Topographic Maps of the United States. Suitland, Maryland: National Archives and Records Service, 1976. The maps are arranged alphabetically by the name of the quadrangle on the following films:
|Aberdeen-Flintstone||Family History Library film 1433784|
|Gunpowder-Myersville||Family History Library film 1433785|
|Paw Paw-Urbana||Family History Library film 1433786|
|Wyoming||Family History Library film 1433783|
- Film numbers for additional and more recent topographical maps are listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under UNITED STATES - MAPS.
- To see changes in county boundaries, use: Long, John H., ed. Delaware, Maryland, District of Columbia atlas of Historical County Boundaries. New York: Charles Schribner’s Sons, 1996. (Family History Library book 975 E3L.) This volume is part of a proposed 40-volume reference work under the common title “Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.” It intends to trace boundary changes from the earliest date to 1990, leaving no gaps. It also intends to provide a frame of reference for understanding boundary changes.
- Also see: Maryland, Delaware Atlas and Gazetteer. DeLorme Mapping. 4th ed., Freeport, Maine: DeLorme, 2004. (Family History Library book 975 E7md .)
- The Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog lists more maps under:
- MARYLAND - MAPS
- MARYLAND, [COUNTY] - MAPS
- Printable maps are also available from the National Atlas of the United States
- Detail of Maryland's regions