Mason County, IllinoisEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Mason County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 20, 1841|
|Address|| 100 N. Broadway|
Havana, IL 62644
|Named for: Mason County, Kentucky|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Mason County Organization
|Beginning Dates for Mason County Records|
- 1841--Mason County was created 20 January 1841 from Tazewell and Menard Counties. County seat: Havana 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Mason County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Mason Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Mason County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Mason County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Mason County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Mason County.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 85th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, and K.
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ Hardin County Fact Sheet, Illinois State Archives, accessed May 28, 2011.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback