Mason County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Mason County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 20, 1841|
|Address|| 100 N. Broadway|
Havana, IL 62644
|Named for: Mason County, Kentucky|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Mason County Organization
|Beginning Dates for Mason County Records|
- 1841--Mason County was created 20 January 1841 from Tazewell and Menard Counties. County seat: Havana 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Mason County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Mason Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Mason County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Mason County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Mason County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Mason County.
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company G.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E.
- - 85th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, and K.
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ Hardin County Fact Sheet, Illinois State Archives, accessed May 28, 2011.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.