Mason County, West Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Mason County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mason County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||Point Pleasant|
Mason County Courthouse
200 6th Street
Point Pleasant, WV 25550
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
Marriage and land records from 1804
Military records 1918
Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Mason County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Heinegg, Paul. "Mason County Personal Property Tax List, 1805-1846," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
For tips on accessing Mason County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Chapman] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.
- [Clemens] Bell, Raymond Martin. The Ancestry of Samuel Clemens, Grandfather of Mark Twain. Washington, Pa.: R.M. Bell, 1980. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online ; FHL Book 929.273 C591brm.
- [Jolly] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.
- [Lane] Quackenbush, Nancy. "Some Northern Neck Lanes," Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 24, No. 4 (Nov. 1986):3-22. Digital version at Ancestry ($); FHL Book 975.5 B2vs.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Mason County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Mason County, West Virginia World War II Casualties Army and Air Force
War of 1812
Mason County men served in the 106th Virginia Regiment.
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
The Point Pleasant Register
200 Main Street
Point Pleasant, West Virginia 25550
Mason County, West Virginia Will Book 1834 - 1968
West Virginia Will Books
- [1805-1846] Heinegg, Paul. "Mason County Personal Property Tax List, 1805-1846," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Mason County is included in Vol. 6.]
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1806-1812, 1814-1854, 1857, 1861-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Mason County Genealogical Historical Society
Henderson, West Virginia 25106
Mason County Public Library
508 Viand Street
Point Pleasant, West Virginia 25550
Hannan Public Library
6760 Ashton Upland Road
Ashton, West Virginia 25503
Telephone and Fax: 304-743-6200
Mason City Public Library
8 Brown Street
Mason, West Virginia 25260
Telephone and Fax: 304-773-5580
New Haven Public Library
P O Box 417
New Haven, West Virginia 25265
Telephone and Fax: 304-882-3252
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Biographies of Mason County, West Virginia
- Family History Pages
- Family Web sites of Mason County Folk
- Point Pleasant's West Virginia Ordinance Works
- Mason County West Virginia Reference Materials
- Flowers Family of Mason County, West Virginia
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mason County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 134. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.
- ↑ Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News