Mason County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Mason County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||Point Pleasant|
Mason County Court House
200 6th Street
Point Pleasant, WV 25550
- County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
- Marriage and land records from 1804
- Military records 1918
- Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Mason County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Heinegg, Paul. "Mason County Personal Property Tax List, 1805-1846," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
For tips on accessing Mason County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Chapman] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.
- [Clemens] Bell, Raymond Martin. The Ancestry of Samuel Clemens, Grandfather of Mark Twain. Washington, Pa.: R.M. Bell, 1980. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 C591brm.
- [Jolly] Machir, Violette S. Some Chapman, Jolly, Rayburn and Smith Families in W.Va. & Ohio. Middleport, Ohio: Quality Print Shop, 1966. FHL Fiche 6017211.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Mason County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
The Point Pleasant Register
200 Main Street
Point Pleasant, West Virginia 25550
Mason County, West Virginia Will Book 1834 - 1968
West Virginia Will Books
- [1805-1846] Heinegg, Paul. "Mason County Personal Property Tax List, 1805-1846," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Mason County is included in Vol. 6.]
Societies and Libraries
Mason County Family History Hall of Fame
"May we preserve their memories & Contributions!"
Please write about deceased historians & Genealogist!
Mason County Genealogical Historical Society
Henderson, West Virginia 25106
Mason County Public Library
508 Viand Street
Point Pleasant, West Virginia 25550
Hannan Public Library
6760 Ashton Upland Road
Ashton, West Virginia 25503
Telephone and Fax: 304-743-6200
Mason City Public Library
8 Brown Street
Mason, West Virginia 25260
Telephone and Fax: 304-773-5580
New Haven Public Library
P O Box 417
New Haven, West Virginia 25265
Telephone and Fax: 304-882-3252
Family History Centers
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).