Mathews County, Virginia Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Mathews County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 10 family history books and articles have been published about Mathews County's families.
- Main article: Mathews County, Virginia
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Mathews County, Virginia families include:
- Yurechko, John Otto. Virginians Along and Near the Lower Rapphahannock River, 1607-1799. 2 vols. Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1997-1998. FHL Book 975.5 D2yj v. 1-v. 2. Contents: v. 1. Blake, Brooks (Brook), Churchill, Cook (Cock), Daniel, Dixon, Gore, Kidd, Lewis, Martin, Montague, Taylor and Wood -- v. 2. Brown, Clark, Elliott, Fox (Fowkes, Vaulx), Harrison, McTyre, Moore, Pate, Rawlins (Rollins), Rhodes, Sanders (Saunders) and Williams.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Diggs] Boone, Louis R. "Cole Diggs of Mathews County, Virginia and Montgomery County, Missouri," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1972):47-48. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 16 (1972).
- [Diggs] Efford, Joan M. Our Efford Family of the Northern Neck: and Related Lines. Tappahannock, Va.: J. Efford, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 Ef48e.
- [Gwyn] Lustenberger, Anita A. "One Piece of a Family Puzzle: Hugh Gwyn ("1702-68") of Gloucester County, Virginia," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 99, No. 3 (Sep. 2011):185-198.
- [James] Ironmonger, Elizabeth Hogg. A Virginia Genealogy: Thomas James (Clerk of Kingston Parish, 1783 - 1796; Ancestry and Descendants, 1653 - 1961. [Crozet, Virginia: Arthur W. James, c1961]. Available at FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 J231i. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- [Page] Page, Richard Channing Moore. Genealogy of the Page Family in Virginia. Also a Condensed Account of the Nelson, Walker, Pendleton and Randolph Families, With References to the Bland, Burwell, Byrd, Carter, Cary, Duke, Gilmer, Harrison, Rives, Thornton, Wellford, Washington, and Other Distinguished Families in Virginia. New York: Press of the Publishers' Printing Co., 1893. FHL Collection; digital version at Google Books.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Matthews [sic] County appears in Vol. 2]
- [Shepard] Talley, William M. "Chauncey Berkeley Shepard: Matthews County, Va., and Lewis County, Ky.," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 2 (April/June 1982):43-45. FHL Collection 976.9 B2kg v. 24 (1982)
- [Smith] Wiatt, Alexander Lloyd. The Descendants of Stephen Field of King and Queen County, Virginia, 1721: With Notes on the Armistead, Booth, Catesby-Cocke, Catlett, Jones, Lightfoot, Smith, Tabb, Todd and Wiatt Families. n.p.: A. Wiatt, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 F458w.
- [White] White, Robert Ellerson. Ancestry and Descendants of John French White and His Wife Martha Cowles White: Including Many Old Mathews and York County Family Names, Also Some from Other Areas: This Book Covers a Period of About Three Hundred Years. Grafton, Va.: John-Henry Printing Co., 1988?. FHL Film 1683131 Item 9.
- [Williams] Murray, Milton. "The Williams Family of Mathews County," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 1, No. 4 (February/March 1993):178-181. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News