Mayfield, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Mayfield, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
MAYFIELD (St. John The Baptist), a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford with the chapelry of Butterton, part of Calton, and the township of Woodhouses. There are chapels at Butterton and Calton and a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Church Mayfield St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Calton, Staffordshire is a chapelry of Mayfield. Other places in the parish include: Calton, Calton in Mayfield, Church Mayfield, Woodhouses, Mathfield, Upper Mayfield, and Lower Mayfield.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Mayfield parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|MAYFIELD PARISH Online Records|
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Mayfield, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474631.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 277-280. Date accessed: 02 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8