McKinley County, New Mexico GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
McKinley County Courthouse
200 W Hill Ave;
Gallup, NM 87301-6309
County Clerk has birth records 1907-1958, probate and land records from 1901, and voter registeration; District Court Clerk has divorce records.
- Up until 1821 - New Spain controlled land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of early settlers may have been sent to an archives in Seville, Spain, or to archives in Mexico City.
- From 1821 until 1846 - Mexico had jurisdiction over the land that later would become New Mexico and Arizona. Some records of this period may have been sent to archives in Mexico City. Starting in 1846 United States forces occupied New Mexico during the Mexican-American War.
- 1848 - Land that became McKinley County formally became a part of the United States when the Mexican-American War ended with ratification of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
- 1901--McKinley County was created 1 January 1901 (law dated 23 February 1899) from Bernalillo County. 
- 1901 - On 18 March 1901, McKinley gained from Bernalillo, San Juan, and Valencia counties, assuming present shape.
Ramah Cemetery in Ramah NM
For tips on accessing McKinley County, New Mexico Genealogy census records online, see: New Mexico Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
The primary function of the McKinley County Clerk is to file and record documents of all kinds, including all land documents, maps and plats for the county, subdivision maps and surveys, legal descriptions, bills of sale, and property tax liens.
McKinley county Clerks Office
McKinley county NM Courthouse
207 West Hill St
Gallup, NM 87301
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Gallup New Mexico Family History Center in Gallup, New Mexico
- Ramah New Mexico Family History Center in Ramah, New Mexico
- Thoreau New Mexico Family History Center in Thoreau, New Mexico
- USGenWeb for McKinley county NM. Has Cemeteries, Census, History, and Obituary information.
- General Land Office records for original land patents.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McKinley County, New Mexico page 474, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ N.M. Terr. Laws 1899, 33d assy., ch. 19/pp. 43-45
- ↑ N.M. Terr. Laws 1901, 34th assy., ch. 39/pp. 75-79
|This New Mexico-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.