Mecklenburg County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Mecklenburg County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
1762--Mecklenburg County was created 3 November 1762 from Anson County. It was named for the German homeland of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Streliz, the wife of King George III. 
County seat: Charlotte 
Places / Localities
- Freedman Bank Records, 1865-1874 - search this freely available database for bank records of African-American individuals. This database includes records from all 29 branches of the bank. North Carolina bank locations included Wilmington, Raleigh & New Bern.
- Mecklenburg County cemeteries - via Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room Index to Mecklenburg Cemeteries
- Mecklenburg County Cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave
- Mecklenburg County Cemeteries - via Cemetery Census
- Meckenburg County Cemeteries - via the USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- Census Transcriptions - via the Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Bethel Presbyterian Church - family history & genealogy of these church families. Church is located in Cornelius.
- Court Transcriptions - via the Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Charlotte Historical Directories - a handful of area directories from the 1800s; provided by the Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Mecklenburg County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. "Twelve Things We've Learned While Compiling the Rocky River Morrison Genealogies," Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2819. Available at FHL.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. Descendants of John (1725?-1777) & Mary (1732-1781) Morrison of Rocky River. Reviewed in Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2830. Available at FHL.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. Descendants of James (1726-1804) and Jennet (1735-1810) Morrison of Rocky River. Reviewed in Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2830. Available at FHL.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. Descendants of Robert (1728-1810) and Sarah (1739-1816) Morrison of Rocky River. Reviewed in Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2830. Available at FHL.
- see the real estate books in the Newspapers section below
- Deeds - various years; transcribed by volunteers; via the Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Tompkins, Daniel Augustus. History of Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte: From 1740 to 1903, 2 vols. Charlotte, North Carolina: Observer Printing House, 1903-1904. Available at FHL; digital versions of Vol. 1 at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view) and of Vol. 2 at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view).
- Maps of Mecklenburg County - via the NC Maps Collection of the North Carolina State Library
- Various military records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
- Ferguson, Herman W. "Six Applications for Citizenship, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina," [1823-1824] Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2795-2796. Available at FHL.
- Mecklenburg county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
Extractions/Transcriptions from the newspapers
- Misc. Newspaper transcriptions - various years, user submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Real estate and legal notices from Charlotte, North Carolina, newspapers, 1835-1847, Vol. 1. 1835-1847
- Real estate and legal notices from Charlotte, North Carolina, newspapers, 1835-1847, Vol. 2. 1848-1862
- Death notices from the Mecklenburg Jeffersonian, Charlotte, N.C., 1841-1849 an index - compiled by Rose L. Grantham and Carol Haywood [Family History Library| WorldCat]
- Death notices from the Western Democrat, Charlotte, N.C., 1853-1870 an index - compiled by Carol Haywood and Rose L. Grantham [Family History Library| WorldCat]
- Marriage notices from the Western Democrat, Charlotte, N.C., 1853-1870 an index - compiled by Carol Haywood and Rose L. Grantham [Family History Library| WorldCat]
- Will & Estate records - transcribed and submitted by volunteers to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Mecklenburg County Wills: Surnames - A, B, C, D, E & F, G, H & I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z -- held by the NC State Library
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- Mecklenburg County marriages A-K - various years; submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Mecklenburg County marriages L-Z - various years; submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Mecklenburg County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Mecklenburg County Divorces, 1846-1969 - index includes the name of the plaintiff, the defendant and the year of the divorce; created by the Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- Death Certificate Search, 1991-present -- from the Register of Deeds
- Obituaries, A-K - obits submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Obituaries, L-Z - obits submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Misc. county deaths - deaths extracted from newspapers with relevance to Mecklenburg county; link takes you to a name index. Provided via the NC Newspeople in the Papers database. Late 1800s/early 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - search death records from across the state; via FamilySearch
- Belmont Abbey College: 1934-2009 (not entirely inclusive, but more than 50 yearbooks)
- Davidson College: 1895-2009
- Johnson C. Smith University: 1929-2008
- Mecklenburg County students at NC colleges - via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
- Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society
- Steele Creek Historical & Genealogical Society
- Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- J. Murray Atkins Library - at UNC-Charlotte
- NCGenWeb: Mecklenburg County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story, Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, www.cmstory.org
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).