Mecklenburg County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Infobox U.S. County | county = Mecklenburg County | adoption_sign = Adoption NCGenWeb
| custom_text =
Mecklenburg Co. NCGenWeb
| county_map = Nc-mecklenburg.png | state = North Carolina | state_map = North_Carolina.png | founded year = 1762 | founded date = | seat wl = Charlotte }}United States North Carolina Mecklenburg County
1762--Mecklenburg County was created 3 November 1762 from Anson County. It was named for the German homeland of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Streliz, the wife of King George III. 
County seat: Charlotte 
Places / Localities
- Freedman Bank Records, 1865-1874 - search this freely available database for bank records of African-American individuals. This database includes records from all 29 branches of the bank. North Carolina bank locations included Wilmington, Raleigh & New Bern.
- Mecklenburg County cemeteries - via Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room Index to Mecklenburg Cemeteries
- Mecklenburg County Cemeteries - via Find-A-Grave
- Mecklenburg County Cemeteries - via Cemetery Census
- Meckenburg County Cemeteries - via the USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- Census Transcriptions - via the Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Bethel Presbyterian Church - family history & genealogy of these church families. Church is located in Cornelius.
- Court Transcriptions - via the Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Charlotte Historical Directories - a handful of area directories from the 1800s; provided by the Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- Several NC state business directories are available online. Visit this list of directories, open the directory, and navigate to Mecklenburg County. Directories include information on area businesses and citizens.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. "Twelve Things We've Learned While Compiling the Rocky River Morrison Genealogies," Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2819. Available at FHL.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. Descendants of John (1725?-1777) & Mary (1732-1781) Morrison of Rocky River. Reviewed in Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2830. Available at FHL.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. Descendants of James (1726-1804) and Jennet (1735-1810) Morrison of Rocky River. Reviewed in Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2830. Available at FHL.
- [Morrison] Morrison, Janet and Marie Morrison. Descendants of Robert (1728-1810) and Sarah (1739-1816) Morrison of Rocky River. Reviewed in Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2830. Available at FHL.
- See the real estate books in the Newspapers section below
- Deeds - various years; transcribed by volunteers; via the Mecklenburg County NCGenWeb Archives
- Tompkins, Daniel Augustus. History of Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte: From 1740 to 1903, 2 vols. Charlotte, North Carolina: Observer Printing House, 1903-1904. Available at FHL; digital versions of Vol. 1 at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view) and of Vol. 2 at BYU Family History Archives and Google Books (full-view).
- Maps of Mecklenburg County - via the NC Maps Collection of the North Carolina State Library
Early migration routes to and from Mecklenburg County for European settlers included:
- Various military records - via the NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -7th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- Ferguson, Herman W. "Six Applications for Citizenship, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina," [1823-1824] Rowan County Register, Vol. 12, No. 3 (Aug. 1997):2795-2796. Available at FHL.
- Charlotte Jewish Times - 240+ issues available online spanning 1979-2000; via DigitalNC.org
- Mecklenburg county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
Extractions/Transcriptions from the newspapers
- Misc. Newspaper transcriptions - various years, user submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Real estate and legal notices from Charlotte, North Carolina, newspapers, 1835-1847, Vol. 1. 1835-1847
- Real estate and legal notices from Charlotte, North Carolina, newspapers, 1835-1847, Vol. 2. 1848-1862
- Death notices from the Mecklenburg Jeffersonian, Charlotte, N.C., 1841-1849 an index - compiled by Rose L. Grantham and Carol Haywood [Family History Library| WorldCat]
- Death notices from the Western Democrat, Charlotte, N.C., 1853-1870 an index - compiled by Carol Haywood and Rose L. Grantham [Family History Library| WorldCat]
- Marriage notices from the Western Democrat, Charlotte, N.C., 1853-1870 an index - compiled by Carol Haywood and Rose L. Grantham [Family History Library| WorldCat]
- Will & Estate records - transcribed and submitted by volunteers to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Mecklenburg County Wills - index list of names of wills held by the NC State Library. When you go to the page, scroll down to the list of wills from Mecklenburg County.
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- Mecklenburg County marriages A-K - various years; submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Mecklenburg County marriages L-Z - various years; submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Mecklenburg County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Mecklenburg County Divorces, 1846-1969 - index includes the name of the plaintiff, the defendant and the year of the divorce; created by the Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- Death Certificate Search, 1991-present -- from the Register of Deeds
- Obituaries, A-K - obits submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Obituaries, L-Z - obits submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Misc. county deaths - deaths extracted from newspapers with relevance to Mecklenburg county; link takes you to a name index. Provided via the NC Newspeople in the Papers database. Late 1800s/early 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - search death records from across the state; via FamilySearch
- Belmont Abbey College: 1934-2009 (not entirely inclusive, but more than 50 yearbooks)
- Davidson College: 1895-2009
- Johnson C. Smith University: 1929-2008
- Mecklenburg County students at NC colleges - via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
- Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society
- Steele Creek Historical & Genealogical Society
- Public Library of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County
- J. Murray Atkins Library - at UNC-Charlotte
Family History Centers
- NCGenWeb: Mecklenburg County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story, Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, www.cmstory.org
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the Early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.