Meigs County, Ohio GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Meigs County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||1 April, 1819|
|Address|| Meigs County Courthouse|
100 W. 2nd St.
Pomeroy, Ohio 45769
Meigs County Website
Meigs County Courthouse
100 E 2nd Street
Pomeroy, OH 45769
Probate Judge has birth, marriage, death and probate records;
Clerk Court has divorce and court records from 1819; County
Recorder has land rec
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Athens and Gallia Counties 21 January 1819.
- County Seat: Pomeroy
- Neighboring Counties: Meigs County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Athens (north) · Hocking (northwest) · Mason County, West Virginia (south) · Jackson County, West Virginia (southeast) · Vinton (west) · Gallia (southwest) · Wood County, West Virginia (east)
See an interactive map of Meigs County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
For a list of cemeteries in Meigs County, OH, click here.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
The following Civil War battle was fought in Meigs County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Ohio.
- - Civil War service men from Meigs County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Meigs County.
- - 116th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies B and G
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. USGenWeb Meigs County
- Family History Library Catalog
Cities and towns:
Alfred | Antiquity | Apple Grove | Bald Knobs | Bashan | Bradbury | Bucks Mill | Burlingham | Carpenter | Chester | Danville | Darwin | Dexter | Dorcas | Dyesville| East Letart | Eden | Five Points | Flora | Great Bend | Hanesville | Harrisonville | Hazael | Hemlock Grove | Hobson | Hobson Junction | Horner Hill | Joppa | Keno | Kingsbury | Langsville | Letart Falls | Lima | Lincoln Heights | Long Bottom | Meigs |Merritt | Middleport | Midway | Minersville | Mount Blanco | Nease Settlement | Oldtown | Flats | Pageville | Pinegrove | Plants | Point Rock | Pomeroy | Portland | Racine | Reedsville | Rock Springs | Rolandus | Rushville | Rutland | Salem Center Shade River | Silver Run | Snowville | Spiller | Success | Sumner | Syracuse | Tuppers Plains | Valley Ford | Welsh | Welshtown | Wolfpen
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Meigs County, Ohio. Page 544 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Meigs County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigs_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)