Melling (near Liverpool), Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Melling St Thomas and the Holy Rood is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1810 from chapelry in Halsall, Lancashire Ancient Parish.See also List of Chapelries Lying within Halsall Parish
Melling is a village and civil parish within the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton, in Merseyside, England. The hamlet of Melling Mount is 1.2 miles (2 km) from the village of Melling.
Historically, a part of Lancashire, its name originates from the Anglo-Saxon roots for "The homestead of Maella", (or Malla). Lying close to Liverpool, the area was first settled by Maella's family in the 6th century. A 'Headless Cross' is located in the parish church.
The village was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Melinge.
MELLING, cum Cunscough, a chapelry, in the parish of Halsall, union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Liverpool, on the road to Ormskirk; containing 607 inhabitants. This place appears to have been part of the tract of land granted by Roger de Poictou to Vivian de Molines; for the son of the latter, Sir Adam de Molines, gave in free and pure alms to the church of St. Mary, of Cockersand, certain acres of land in Melling and Cunscough. A branch of the family of Molyneux was seated here about the 43rd of Edward III.; and Richard, Viscount Molyneux, died seized of the manor in the reign of Charles I. The family of Bootle were resident at Melling in Henry V.'s reign. The chapelry comprises 1957a. 1r. 3p. of land; the surface is elevated, and from the churchyard is a complete panoramic view, including Liverpool, and, in the distance, the Welsh mountains. The river Alt separates the township from Aintree; and both the Liverpool and Bolton, and Liverpool and Preston railways pass through. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120, with a house, built in 1831; patron, the Rector of Halsall, whose tithes here have been commuted for £505, and who has a glebe of about a quarter of an acre. The church, St. Thomas's, was rebuilt on a new site in 1834, at a cost of £1200; it is in the early English style, and forms, from its elevated situation, a conspicuous object in the scenery. There are two ancient monuments to the Bootles, of Lathom, a monument to the Molyneuxs, of Mosborough, and one to Mr. Savage; these were removed from the old edifice, when taken down in 1834. A school has an endowment of £50 per annum from land; the school-house was rebuilt in 1844.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 283-287. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51142 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.