Menard County, Illinois GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Menard County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 15, 1839|
|Address|| P.O. Box 465|
Petersburg, IL 62675
|Named for: Pierre Menard|
|This Illinois-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Menard County Organization
|Beginning Dates for Menard County Records|
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Menard County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Menard Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Menard County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Menard County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Menard County on page 187.]
BLM GLO Records. Search original land patents for Menard County from the Govenment Land Office (GLO) or Eastern States Office. Some searches include images of the original warrants. All search results include the patant details needed for requesting copies of the land entry files at the National Archives. The GLO is the custodian of millions of land title documents. The General Land Office Automated Records Project is responsible for making these important documents available to the public.
Land records that include Bond County at Ancestry.com $:
- "Illinois Public Land Purchase Records" This record extract includes over 538,000 land sales from the 19th Century. Each entry includes the purchaser's name, purchase date, number of acres, price per acre, and in some cases the purchaser's sex and residence.
- "U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796 to 1907:" Records of Illinois are among the 13 states included in this set. It includes images of the land patents which contain the information necessary for ordering the complete case files from the National Archives. This appears to be the same information that is online at the Federal Land Office site http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/.
- Sheldon, Theodore. Land registration in Illinois. Chicago: Callaghan Co., 1901. Digital book. Expains the laws regarding land and the land systems used in Illinois. Includes court cases involving land issues. In addition to being on Ancestry, this book is available online at no cost at Internet Archives and Google Books.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Menard County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Menard County.
- Menard County Birth Records November 1878 thru December 1887, courtesy: Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois
- Menard County Illinois Marriages 1926 - 1932 Groom Index, courtesy: Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois
- Menard County Illinois Marriages 1926 - 1932 Bride Index, courtesy: Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois
Available at Ancestry.com $:
- Menard county marriages in "Illinois Marriages 1790 to 1860." The source of this collection is films in the Family History Library's collection
- Menard County marriages in "Illinois Marriages 1851 to 1900." The source of this collection is films in the Family History Library's collection
- Menard County Death Records December 1877 thru April 1910, courtesy: Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois
- Menard County, Illinois Death Certificates (incomplete, but very good), courtesy: Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois
- WWII Deaths from Menard County, Illinois, courtesy: Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois
- Menard County Patient Deaths at the Illinois State Hospital (1910s-1930s)
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- Menard County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Illinois Ancestors Presents Menard County Extensive Cemetery, Census, Church Photographs, Directory, Funeral Home, Local Histories, Maps, Military, Mortality Schedule, Obituary, Probate, Tax Lists, Vital Records, and Voting Records.
- Menard County, Illinois Resources (Researching Your Roots in Central Illinois). Birth, Cemetery, Census, Church Records, Death Records, Directories, Local History, Marriages, Soldiers' and Sailors' Home Records, and Voting Records
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.
- ↑ Menard County Military and Veterans, Illinois Ancestors Presents Menard County.