Metfield, Suffolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|size - 3.65 sq miles|
|Fressingfield||Cratfield Linstead-Magna||Linstead-Parva Chediston|
|Project members: Use a combination of sources to create a short history; using gazetteers, census population data, history books, and websites focusing on the eighteenth and nineteenth century’s. Use resource material found in the Resource and Reference sections below. Refer to Suffolk Discussion Page for details.|
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Metfield and Suffolk in the Family History Library Catalog for available records.
The Parish Registers begin in 1559. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1559 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are considerable for Metfield. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
There are census records available for Metfield from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Metfield Censusin the catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in Suffolk.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details about the Census.
See Suffolk History: 'Note events that took place in the parish or affected the parish'
- RAF Metfield - There was an airfield in Metfield during World War II; 1940's
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Metfield was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851 - see parish in context with surrounding parishes
- Suffolk Gazetteers - There are numerous online gazetteers
- Vision of Britain - METFIELD, a village and a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk. The village stands 2¼ miles SE of the river Waveney, at the boundary with Suffolk, and 4½ NE by E of Harleston...
- British History Online -METFIELD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union and hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 3¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Harleston; containing 702 inhabitants, and comprising 2140 acres....
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News