Mexico, Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Miscellaneous Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Miscellaneous Marriage Records, 1539-1939 .
Title in the Language of the Record
México, Arquidiócesis de Guadalajara, dispensas matrimoniales.
This collection includes marriage dispensation records housed at the Archives of the Archdioceses of Guadalajara in Mexico from 1539 to 1939. The records are in Spanish.
A marriage dispensation was permission from a priest to overlook or forgo following some specific Catholic law pertaining to marriage. A more detailed explanation of dispensations is included in an article online at The Brick Walls website.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Miscellaneous Marriage Records, 1539-1939.|
- Date and place of marriage
- Groom's name and origin
- Names of groom's parents
- Bride's name and origin
- Names of bride's parents
How to Use the Collection
Search the Collection
To browse the collection by image:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Mexico Language and Languages
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- BYU Spanish Script Tutorial
- FamilySearch Learning Center videos:
|FHL Place Mexico, Jalisco, Guadalajara items or FHL Keyword Mexico, Jalisco, Guadalajara items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Mexico Archives and Libraries.|
- Explanation of Roman Catholic marriage dispensations
- GCatholic.org entry on Archdiocese of Guadalajara
- Historia de la Arquidiócesis, sitio de web de arzobispado de Guadalajara (use Chrome to translate the page into English)
- Guadalajara Marriage Dispensations(hasn't been updated in like 2 years)
- Map of Guadalajara in 2009
- Map of Guadalajara in 1972
Related Wiki Articles
- Mexico Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Locating Mexico Catholic Church Parish Records
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information (often called citing your sources). This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Mexico, Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Miscellaneous Marriage Records, 1539-1939." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Archivo de la Arquidiócesis de Guadalajara, Jalisco.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Mexico, Archdiocese of Guadalajara, Miscellaneous Marriage Records, 1539-1939.|
- This page was last modified on 25 June 2015, at 22:21.
- This page has been accessed 4,556 times.